Dung Beetle

Jamie spotted this not-so-little dung beetle in the grass, possibly arrived via the manure.

Dung beetle - Dor beetle

What a beauty. This dung beetle (dor beetle) is one of our largest and, due to the shape of its head, I think this particular one (after checking here) is the Geotrupes stercorarius.

Dung beetle on Hungerford Allotments

It always surprises me to see how hairy some of these insects are up close and look at the amazing details on the legs and antennae - fascinating.

UK's Largest Dung beetle

I really like the metallic sheen on the edges and then when it falls onto it's back - look at that!

Shiny underside of the dor beetle
Not suprisingly, the dung beetle eats dung so not a pest to our allotment.

Comments

  1. I do love these pics of yours. In fact, I wouldn't mind being an insect in your plot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'm very pleased to receive corrections or confirmations of my identification of the creatures we've spotted on the allotment.