Orange Swift Moth

We were hiding from the rain, having a cup of coffee when we found this little moth who had the same idea. Well, not the coffee-drinking part and not just because it doesn't have mouthparts! Poor little thing. I think this is a male as the colouring was quite bright.

Triodia sylvina

The transformation from caterpillar to moth takes two years and they pupate underground. The caterpillars eat dock roots, dandelions and other herbaceous perenials but are unlikely to cause too much damage so are not unwelcome on the allotment. Also, the eggs are laid while in flight so are unlikely to be in a large cluster.

Orange swift mothThanks to the Moths UK Facebook group for the id

Comments

  1. Hello! from Japan.Your picture of many insect are so cute!
    I live in Kamakura(Japanese Ancient city)surrounded by mountainsins, so I can meet various insects arround here.
    Recently there are many beautiful white mothes in the forest behind my house♪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thankyou for visiting my wildlife blog, I’m glad you enjoyed seeing the interesting insects. Mountains and forests - how lovely!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'm very pleased to receive corrections or confirmations of my identification of the creatures we've spotted on the allotment.