Mole

I know at least one plotholder who won’t be pleased to see this blog entry! But look at that little velvety digger.

Mole

This mole was spotted above ground in the grass yesterday. From what I’ve read, it’s likely to be a young one that is just leaving it’s mother to fend for itself. This is one of the most dangerous times in its life when it goes above ground to find its own territory.

https://plot7wildlife.blogspot.com/

There have always been moles on site but our neighbour has had problems with them this year. I think it’s because he manures his plot well every winter, so it must be full of earthworms that the moles love. Personally we don’t find moles to be a big problem. Their tunnels may mean some crops are lost but we’ve never had crops decimated by a mole visiting.

https://plot7wildlife.blogspot.com/

In defence of the mole. As well as earthworms, moles eat grubs, larvae and slugs which all damage our crops more than a mole tunnel would. Also mole tunnels aerate the soil and improve drainage. And if you’re my age you’ll remember this little chap, so be kind to moles!

The mole

Comments

  1. It's cute mole♪
    I haven't seen the mole on the ground!
    Today I found the traces of the mole on the garden where I sowed the vegetable's seed. But I just tried to sow again๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he was there just at the right time. Molehills always look so healthy - perfect for sowing seeds ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'm very pleased to receive corrections or confirmations of my identification of the creatures we've spotted on the allotment.