Ashy Mining Bee

This is my favourite type of bee, I do like a big bumblebee but seeing this little panda always makes me smile. Official name Andrena cineraria, but I prefer panda-bee.
Black and white bee
She may have only emerged from her Winter hibernation, as an adult, yesterday because the weather was warm. I found her in the polytunnel. Definitely a female, as the male doesn’t have the super-glossy black abdomen and is a smaller bee.
Black and white bee
She was cleaning herself which makes me think she wasn’t long out of the ground, so she’ll be off feeding on nectar and pollen from various flowers - I left her on our broad beans to aid pollination - and then needs to mate.
Ashy mining bee
The males will have already emerged and once mated will die, whereas this little female will mine a burrow for her nest and lay her eggs. It’s a solitary bee but you’ll often see multiple nests (or at least the little volcanic dirt piles at the entrance) in one location. The photo below is one I took in 2015 where the bee seems to have re-used a vole hole, or something similar.
For the following few weeks she’ll be gathering nectar and pollen for her larvae to feed on before they emerge next Spring as adults - round it goes!
This little visitor is a very welcome Spring pollinator.

Comments